Thursday, December 9, 2010

Soup!!!

Here in Arkansas we have a lil German restaurant located in the small city of Altus named Wiederkehr's. It is a peaceful drive off the interstate thru yards and yards of grape vineyards. The restaurant is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and for years has been voted "Most Romantic" and "Best Ethnic" by the readers of Arkansas Times magazine. Baby J and I go there every year for our anniversary. I love that place! I usually order petite sirloin, with German potatoes. MMMMMM my mouth is watering! Every meal is served with a a loaf of bread, salad and soup. This restaurant should be known for its soup! It is like no other! I was given this recipe by a co-worker and thought to myself, there is no way this could even be close to the real thing but it actually is! So I wanted to share it with all of you! I do believe it is missing something, I just can't figure it out. So if you know, be sure to tell me! Here it goes....

4 Tablespoons Butter
1 small onion chopped
4 or 5 Beef Bouillon Cubes
6 Tablespoons Flour
5 Cups hot water
salt & pepper
Swiss Cheese
Melt butter in saucepan. Add onions and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly so mixture does not scortch. Blend in flour. Then add water and cubes. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste using salt & pepper. For thicker soup use less water. In each serving bowl put about 2 tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese and pour hot soup over it.

I only use four cups of water, 5 bouillon cubes and not quit that much flour. This is the closest thing to Wiederkehr's soup I have ever had! Hope you enjoy this recipe and let me know if you find the "missing" ingredient!

No comments:

Post a Comment