Saturday, June 6, 2009

A little more detail

Not only do I like to hear pregnancy and delivery stories, I also like to tell mine. So here we go.
Peanut was a good pregnancy for the most part. From about 2-4 months I had morning sickness. Daily!!! At 32 weeks and 4 days (to be exact) I went into labor. I was at the Ms Tech Pageant with Baby J's friend Russell. Baby J was sick and decided not to go. I had a lot of contractions at the pageant. Even Russell joked, "Am I gonna have to take you to the hospital?!" Being my first pregnancy I thought it just must be gas! When the pageant was over I went to the bathroom and had a lot of bleeding. (TMI maybe...sorry) My first thought was I had to get Baby J. I struggled up three flights of stairs to get to his room. Ya I realize now it may have been easier to just call him but in time of shock you just don't think straight! He and his friend Nathan carried me down and off to the hospital we went. I stayed in the hospital 3 days trying to stop labor when they realized my water was leaking. At 6am on the 4th day they broke my water. I was soooo not ready for this. I cried alot.....he can't come out yet, it's not time! He was born by emergency c-section at 8:12pm and weighed 3lbs 6oz. I did get see him before they rushed him to the nursery but would not get to hold him for days. He stayed on Oxygen for the rest of that day and most of the next. On the 3rd day I was able to get wheeled to the nursery to see him. Oh my gosh! He looked like a little bird!!! He skin was not fully developed and was somewhat transparent. He had wires all over him and I could just not believe this was real! Anyway he only lost 4 oz which is very good. He was a very tough cookie. By the time he was 3 weeks old he had reached 4 lbs and we got to take him home!!! That is home with an Apnea monitor. At about a month old his monitor alarmed. I did everything I had been taught to get him going again....and nothing worked! So I called 911. As soon as they answer he starts to cry! He is soooo grounded for this! I was a nervous wreck! He had a monitor until he was almost 9 months old. Currently at 12 years old he is about 5 feet tall and 90 lbs and healthy!
So that was baby #1
Little Bit was definitely a different pregnancy. I was sick all the time and losing weight. I continued to go to the doctor and be told it was just bad morning sickness. At 4 months pregnant, I weighed 88 lbs. I looked terrible to say the least! On several occasions I had to go to the clinic for and iv for dehydration. I could keep nothing down. On top of that I started to have high blood pressure, tremors, and heart palpitations. They finally discovered I was suffering from an overactive thyroid. After several medications, I was back on a good track by 5 1/2 months. Now, she was a scheduled c-section because the hospital we have here requires you to continue to have c-sections once you've already had one. I disagreed, but my only choice was go to another hospital which we did not want to do. We arrived at the hospital having very good contractions. Without thinking I directed Baby J to drop me off at the front doors. I'm surprised the doors were open...it was just shortly after 5 am. There was a Barney Fife security guard at the door. He said ma'm you must go to the ER. As I continued to walk toward the elevator, he repeated himself, yet a little louder. I said NO I am going to labor and delivery! He said, you must go thru ER. NO! I will go thru this elevator. Baby J had gone to park the car and about the time I got to the elevator door he was there with me. Barney (the guard) had realized I was not going to ER and called L&D. When the elevator door opened there was the nurse with the wheelchair. I was prepped for surgery. Everything was ready, we were just waiting on the anesthesiologist. But wait....here she comes! And we had been at the the hospital less than 20 minutes. She was born VBAC 4 Weeks early weighing 4 lbs 13 oz. We stayed at the hospital 3 days for jaundice. When she was four days old the pediatrician called to tell me there was something wrong with her blood work and she need to be seen right away. I freaked out!!! When the results came in they showed she had traces of the medication I had been taking in her blood. Apparently they passed thru the placenta. After three blood draws over the next couple of weeks her blood was free from the medications and she was fine. Fine that is with the except she kept failing her hearing screening. Like I said in my previous post she has unilateral hearing. She has received some speech therapy and as of now is almost up to speed.
And that's #2
Baby Girl was so easy in every way! I expected her delivery early as her siblings but she was hanging on for the long run! Again a c-section was scheduled. My water broke at home, Baby J drove like a maniac to the hospital. In the car he called the hospital to have them waiting with a wheelchair to get me to L&D. At the ER door was a very young man waiting for me. I got in the chair and directed him to hurry. Baby J went to park the car. It was just me in the wheelchair whimpering and the employee in the elevator. The nurses were waiting for me in the observation room. I said oh no...there is no observation, she is coming!!! I was stubborn and would not get out the wheelchair! Baby J finally arrived and convinced me to get up. And the wheelchair boy....look terrified!! I changed into a gown and the nurse checked me....and yelled....the heads coming!!! Uh huh...told ya so! I was immediately taken across the hall to delivery. The doctor was not there yet so the nurses delivered her. From the time my water broke to the time she was delivered was exactly 21 minutes!!! She was born weighing 6 lbs 5 oz!
Now...it was 11:57pm when she was born. Baby J and I talked about it at the time. When we got our paperwork it said 12:00am which made it the next day. I argued that this was wrong and was sturnly told SHE WAS BORN at 12:00!!! Therefore the birthday discrepancy.
When she was 2 weeks old exactly I had just fed her and while burping her she spit up. That's what babies do, right? But this was very thick, mucousy. She appeared to be having trouble so we got that sucker thing they give you at the hospital and sucked her nose and sides of her mouth. It wasn't working. She was struggling. We decided to take her to the doctor. Before we got to the end of our blog she was doing a very weird breathing thing. I called 911 from my cell and explained the happenings to the dispatcher. Less than a half a mile from the house I noticed her mouth and feet were turning purple. The dispatcher said you must take her clothes off and start CPR. NOOOOOO I can't! (Remember my baby was just 2 weeks old and I was a little hormonal and emotional). The dispatcher says Yes you can. So I have her clothes off about the time we hit the grocery store parking lot we had prepared to meet the ambulance at! I jumped out of the car with my limp daughter and gave her to the paramedic. He put her on the stretcher and she started to cough. By this point I am crying hysterically. He said mam she is coughing so she is going to be ok. They took us to the ER (Which was my first and I hope last ambulance ride) where we stayed for a few hours so she could get oxygen since her readings were low. She too should be grounded for this!
So now ya have it. That's how all my babies got here! Now I wanna hear your stories!!

2 comments:

  1. So what exactly was wrong with her? Why did she stop breathing? My stories are in March & April posts on my blog, I think I included them for their birthdays maybe? I'm so bad...Harrisons bday was last week and I did not do a special one for him...how sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She had got some of that thick spit up stuck in her airpipe and got choked. They told me newborns don't know how to cough. I mean they can cought but not purposly. Like when we get choked we just cought it out, they can't do that.

    ReplyDelete